The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 1980 with an intake of 60 students and 5 Faculty. The department has been successful in producing the excellent and well-trained graduates. Today we have 489 Students and
Thirty members of teaching staff drawn from premium institutes throughout India out of whom
Seven are Professors, five are Associate Professors and Eighteen are Assistant Professors. Eleven staff members are having more than ten years experience,
NIne are doctorates and Thirteen pursuing PhD’s and Thirteen are Nonteaching
The departmental activities embrace Testing, Planning, Design, Construction and Management. The Department offering Courses for Graduates in civil Engineering, Post graduates in Structural Engineering and PhDs in civil Engineering. The department has flexible syllabus for the students to get place for their post graduation in specializations like Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering etc.
The department has well equipped laboratories in all areas. Many of our alumni hold prestigious positions in leading academic institutions, industry and government in different countries all over the world.
To impart knowledge and excellence in Civil Engineering with global perspectives to the student community and to make them ethically strong engineers to build our nation.
Our mission is to provide holistic development of student community to meet the ever changing needs of civil engineering industry and to be involved in forward looking research and consultancy useful to society.
Long Terms Goals
Short Term Goals
On completing the B. Tech. – Civil Engineering Programme successfully the students will exhibit the following capabilities:
1. Knowledge in Mathematics, basic sciences, problem solving skills, practical experience to enter career growth related to civil engineering.
2. Possessing practical knowledge in knowing the experiments that have to be conducted on site and in lab to ensure quality in construction.
3. Be a designer and analytical expert to design various structures based on the need.
4. Possessing field experience, design skills and abilities to shine as an independent Structural engineer / Foundation Engineer / Highway Engineer / Surveyor or any other specialization.
5. Apply Computer Aided Design practices to generate plan and elevation of buildings / structures of any shape.
6. Adopt new materials in the construction of buildings and other structures, without degrading the environment.
7. .Competency in using BIS codes, International Specifications, Handbooks, Manuals and appropriate software packages for the application of Disaster mitigation techniques.
8. Understanding the three R’s with respect to sustainable development and Environmental protection, i.e. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
9. Rendering consultancy services independently, with respect to Civil Engineering applications.
10. Understanding the concepts of architectural needs, Socio economical issues and professional ethics as applicable to Civil Engineers.
11. Knowledge of project management and finance management.
12. Excellent proficiency in communication skills.
13. Desire for self education and life-long learning.
14. Outstanding performance in various competitive examinations like UPSC, GRE, GATE, etc.
a. Graduates demonstrate knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
b. Graduates demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
c. Graduates demonstrate an ability to design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data.
d. Graduates demonstrate an ability to design a system, component or process as per needs and specifications.
e. Graduates demonstrate an ability to visualize and work on laboratory and multidisciplinary tasks.
f. Graduate demonstrate skills to use modern engineering tools, software and equipment to analyze problems.
g. Graduates demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical responsibilities.
h. Graduates are able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
i. Graduates show the understanding of impact of engineering solutions on the society and also will be aware of contemporary issues.
j. Graduates develop confidence for self-education and ability for life-long learning.
k. Graduates who can participate and succeed in competitive examinations.
l. Graduates demonstrate knowledge of project management and finance.
Click to view the Academic Rules & Regulations of various programmes
Dr. Hanumantharao Chappidi
Professor & HoD - Civil Engineering Department
Dean - Industrial Research & Consultancy
K L University, Green Fields, Vaddeswaram, Guntur (Dist) - 522502
Mobile: +91 - 98 48 33 33 02; +91 - 99 85 11 99 09;
Office: +91 - 86 32 39 99 99, Ext: 1661